Hamilton Square Perennials
Hamilton Square is located on the southwest
side of Sacramento Historic City Cemetery,
near the Old Mortuary Chapel.
The garden is the burial site of William
Stephen Hamilton, the youngest son of
Alexander Hamilton, the first Treasurer of
the United States.
Stephen Hamilton came to California in 1849
and died in Sacramento in 1850. He is the
cemetery’s most restless resident. He died
once (1850), was exhumed twice (1877, 1889)
and buried three times in three different
Visitors are encouraged to visit this garden any
time of the year on
self-guided tours. Many roses
are labeled. During the Open Garden event
in April, docents are available in Hamilton Square
The majority of the plants in Hamilton Square are
from the five Mediterranean areas of the world –
California, the Mediterranean Basin, Chile, South
Africa and Southern Australia. Roses donated from
the San Jose Heritage Rose Garden, City of
Sacramento, Heirloom Old Fashioned Roses and
Barbara Oliva, are modern versions of “old
fashioned” roses. These roses bloom almost
continuously for eight months of the year.
Perennials are mixed with the roses.
Restoration of several plots in the area was made
possible through a grant from the T.S. and K.D.
Glide Foundation and the Perennial Plant Club of
Sacramento. Brick restoration was completed by the
Sacramento County Sheriff’s Department Work
Release Program. When restoration began in 1997,
the only plants in Hamilton Square were a few
roses and trees. Plant donations from Robert Hamm
of Valley Perennials, Dr. Marla McClaren, Target,
and Perennial Plant Club members have turned this
area into a perpetually blooming site.
Volunteers are always appreciated to work in
Hamilton Square. There's weeding, deadheading
perennials and roses, pruning, reworking plots and
planting chores. Please
e-mail the Volunteer Coordinator or telephone at (916) 4448-0811 and
leave a message if you are interested in this