Old City Cemetery Committee, Inc. - Bell Conservatory


Bell Conservatory

Mrs. Margaret Crocker built the Bell Conservatory at a cost of $38,000 in 1878.  This structure overlooked the cemetery along what is now Broadway and was used to grow flowers for use in the cemetery.  Mrs. Crocker's plan was to sell flowers to those who could afford them and give them to those who could not so that all could decorate the graves of relatives in the City Cemetery across the street.  Colored glass, which once made the Bell Conservatory a thing to behold, was ordered through Tiffany's in New York and shipped from Belgium.

The spot was later bought by Safeway and is now a parking lot.

    

 
 

  
Top
 
Home
| History | Photo Galleries | Volunteer | Make a Donation 
Calendar | Hours | Map | Gifts Contact Us | About OCCC | Publications
  

2005 Old City Cemetery Committee, Inc.   www.oldcitycemetery.com
1000 Broadway - Sacramento, CA 95818
(916) 448-0811
 
Website Designed by Lynda Walls